Wednesday, October 15, 2008

52 Wednesday's

My dear, loving husband said it best, "This isn't 365 days, it's 52 Wednesday's." So, tonight begins our 52 week countdown.

Nobody can prepare you for a long good-bye. We found ourselves eating and watching the clock as we counted down the minutes until we had to go on post for the good-bye. Sitting, waiting and wishing we could rewind the clock. Before we knew it the clock struck 7 pm and we were standing there watching Mikey gather the troops to assure everyone was there. Looking around you see children playing, mothers crying and wives and husbands keeping a constant eye on their soldier. We were blessed with another hour and a half, so we sat and visited about anything but what faced us. And, at every pause in the conversation that reminder went off in my mind...he's leaving for a year, go hug him as long as you can. Tears filled my eyes, then laughter filled the air. We kept the mood as light hearted as possible. But we knew as the sky continued to darken the clock had to be coming towards the end. Then the words came from my husbands lips - "only 15 more minutes." Ugh. My heart fell into my stomach and I suddenly wanted to fall to the ground and throw a tantrum like a toddler. I took another look around as Mikey hugged his parents and watched as the kids became fussy, the mothers reached for their son or daughter and the wives/husbands starred at their loved one crying - no longer caring who was watching them. I hated that I had to give the last hug we would share for a year, and a kiss that would last as long. How do you do that in 5 minutes? How do you tell them everything you will miss in 5 minutes? How do you look at your husband and send them off to war knowing those little moments in life will be "on hold." I still don't know how...

I love my husband, I know he'll be home in a year and so now with the help of all my loving friends and family I will survive. I'll miss the "good morning honey" or the "good night sweetheart" or the little glances as we are making supper or just watching him walk through the front door completely exhausted from work. As I told Mikey, I'm not sure what to do with myself when I'm not taking care of him. I love that new role and as we both determined, I'll still do that, just through packages, letters, emails and short phone calls.

Thank you to each of you for all your thoughts, prayers and continued support. I know the year will go quick and we will be in each others arms again soon. I look forward to our second honeymoon and in the mean time I look forward to making memories with everyone here. (And a VERY special THANK YOU to my brother for making a surprise visit to be here as my rock. I was happy to have him join me so I didn't enter our empty home alone. And THANK YOU to my mom and Shannon who are coming to drive me home...I love EACH of you so much - and I know that many others volunteered too...I am a blessed girl)

I love all of you...and Mikey, if you get to read this...Triple Much (and I promise I will be okay)!

hugs...

annie



Thank you John and Jan for being here...your help was appreciated. Thanks for being my rock too - I'm proud to be your daughter. I love you guys!




I love you Mister Mikey....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are killing me here...I love you, see you soon...

Love,
Shannon

Unknown said...

This will break a heart. I'm thinking of you. OXOX

Crystal said...

I am thinking about you, lady. Can't wait to have you in this neck of the woods ;)

Unknown said...

You are one tough chick...I know I couldn't be a composed as you are through this! If you need anything - call any day, anytime! -Amber