Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A new definition for "Working Remotely"

It was a typical Monday morning. I was heading to my office early to make sure all my ends were tied up from last week...meaning my timesheet was done before billing. Soon into trying to connect to the internet...my timesheet...I realized that internet wasn't working. So, I ran downstairs to see if it was working for Mikey before he left for work...it wasn't. And then we found out cable wasn't working either. Hmmm...I did the only thing I thought would make sense, I called Comcast. They told me there was a fire that took out one of their major lines to Savannah and that we would be out of service until the afternoon. So, I did the only thing I could think of...I took off in my Jeep in search of a wireless connection that wasn't through Comcast.

After driving 15 minutes I finally found one...outside of Locos...but they weren't open yet so it meant me working out of my Jeep. Then the lunch rush hour hit Locos and I didn't figure it would be appropriate for me to take up a table for a couple hours so I waited until that was done. Since it was nearly 2 PM I figured our Internet had to be working again...got home, nope it wasn't working. The new updated time was end of business day Monday. So, I headed back to Locos and worked out of my car until the end of business day. I figured at this point I had bonded with my Jeep so why go into Locos, plus I was told I had to pay for it if I went in...so I stayed in the Jeep!

Yep, I worked remotely yesterday. That is for sure! I think some of the workers at Locos were trying to figure out if I was a PI or just a stalker! And the customers walking in didn't think anything about it, until they came out to see me still there! Hehe. It was fun, but I did have to zip into the mall every once and a while for a bathroom break and to recharge my computer battery.

Don't worry - I'm back to working from my home office. Phew. My Jeep was getting a little cramped yesterday!

No comments: